Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Megacerops with a Mechanical Pencil



I drew this Megacerops (Paleo-Rhino) from a life size sculpture at the American Museum of Natural History in New York that houses the extinct creature's fossilized bones. I thought this was a great example of drawing technique using only a mechanical pencil and a kneaded eraser.  In the detail below you can see how each line of shading wraps around the form and the thicker outer lines work to differentiate the major masses that make up the beast.

This drawing started lightly with the biggest forms being outlined first to orient myself. I darkened the important edge lines as a went and understood that the foreground edges and the lines underneath his jaw would get the most weight.  This and a number of other tricks resulted in a successful drawing.


Here's the same sculpture being carved by a sculptor that I found in a quick Google search.
------------------------------
View more of my artwork at: www.spencerhallam.com

1 comment:

Russell Sublette said...

Great Drawing. As an illustrator myself, I am drawn to this improbable and imposing animal. One of my favorite sketches is of this beast. The sculptor you see in this photo is Erwin Christman,a gifted sculptor and illustrator for the AMNH. Check out his stellar renderings of fossil bones in the museum's collections. Mr. Cristman died of a sudden heart attack in 1911- the world lost him too soon.