Thursday, October 7, 2010

How to Use Color Intensity: 3 Digital Studies

Here are 3 rough photoshop studies I completed with my little Wacom Tablet that demonstrate some of the color chroma concepts I wrote about earlier this week. They really show clear color gradations. I hoped this might apply the idea creatively and also be a little more interesting than the cubes. 


The first (just below) was a study I referenced and caricatured from a Dean Cornwall painting that was posted over at the Gurney Journey.  I loved the color and key of the painting so much, I had to investigate.  You can see the bleaching effect best in his white shirt sleeves where the shadows have more chroma than the light side. More subtly you can see where his beard is slightly more brown in the mid-tone before the light's begin.


In the digital study of the face above is lit from above by low red-orange light. For the lightest lights I used the most saturated orange I could find.  In the two brightest highlights (in the nose and top of the head) I added white to lighten them further so they would punctuate the form stand out beyond the rest.


In this last invented face and lighting scheme, you can see the flesh tone graying toward the dark side and intensifying toward an orange in the light side.  The man's shirt goes through the same gradation.

-------------------------------------
View my portfolio at: www.spencerhallam.com

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Hey Spencer!!

Thanks so much for swingin' by my blog! It's been a while, how've you been? I love the work on your blog, and the color exercises (i'm gonna try doing them now).

Things have been pretty busy for me with work and outside work. I'm ultimately trying to get into storyboarding for feature animation (workin' on the portfolio now), and I'm going to be selling a sketchbook at APE next weekend, showing some experiences from my last visit to Malaysia recently.

I'm always around the city exploring new cafes, so we should meet up sometime and grab coffee/tea. :)