Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How to Create Color Harmony


This is a follow up post to color game I posted earlier.  I wanted to show how to see and create the illusion of different colored light.  This illusion is particularly notable when looking at objects whose local color is the compliment, or opposite hue, of the light source. I've also given both images the same neutral background color to make comparisons more easy.

As with the previous post  the top 4 cubes are in warm (orange) light, while the bottom 4 cubes are in cool (bluish) light.  Both rows are depicting cubes of the same color (white, blue, orange, and black).

Notice that the color saturation (also called intensity or chroma) of the blue cube is more intense when the light source is of the same hue while the blue looks more neutralized and gray under a complimentary light source.  You can see the same phenomena occur by comparing the orange cube on the top with the orange cube on the bottom.

* an advanced note, I originally created this post  for my own purposes so I ended up using paint mixing compliments for the steps of hue.  In the future I'll recreate this demonstration from the more accurate visual primaries (RGB+CMY) as well.
---------------------------------------------

View my portfolio at: www.spencerhallam.com

No comments: