Sunday, April 3, 2011

Car Thumbnails

Car thumbnails from my imagination...

So far, it's seemed easiest for me to draw the wheels in more or less accurate perspective first in order to "ground" the car. Afterward I conceive of the larger shapes as simply as possible, then begin to fill in the details.

Since I don't draw cars very often I'm a little naive about the details and conventional proportions of conventional automobiles. So these ideas look a little outlandish after my slap dash guess work. This is all okay since repetition and creativity counts at this stage while I get a "feel" for it.   


Cars from photo reference:

This makes a big difference. Since these cars already have their details in the right spot I only have to render them more or less faithfully.  Each of these cars took about the same amount of time to draw as the thumbnails above, but are now much more rooted in observations in reality.


I often flip between drawing from observation and drawing from my imagination.  Both methods influence each other in a positive way.

Media: pilot pen toned digitally.

------------------------------
View more of my artwork at: www.spencerhallam.com

No comments: